India has a long and illustrious history in the game of cricket, with some of the sport’s greatest players hailing from the country. In Test matches – the longest and most prestigious format of the game – Indian batsmen have scored centuries (a milestone achievement of scoring 100 or more runs in a single innings) on debut on 31 occasions. Here is a list of all the Indian batsmen who have achieved this feat.
List of Centuries scored by Indians in debut Test match
As of July 2020, there have been seven Indian cricketers who have scored a century in their debut Test match. These include:
1. Mohammad Azharuddin – 119 vs England, Mumbai, 1984
2. Navjot Singh Sidhu – 115 vs Australia, Sydney, 1992
3. Sourav Ganguly – 131 vs England, Lord’s, 1996
4. Virender Sehwag – 105 vs South Africa, Bloemfontein, 2001
5. Rohit Sharma – 177 vs West Indies, Kolkata, 2013
6. Shreyas Iyer – 118* vs New Zealand, Christchurch, 2020
7. Prithvi Shaw – 134 vs West Indies, Rajkot, 2018
Each of these debutant centuries were special in their own way and helped India to either win or draw the Test match. Azharuddin’s century came in a losing cause as India were bowled out for 422 chasing England’s first innings total of 653/4 declared. However, it was a gritty effort from the young batsman and announced his arrival on the international stage.
Who has scored a century on Test debut for India in the 20th Century?
There have been many great players who have scored centuries on their Test debut for India, but there are a few who stand out above the rest. Here is a list of the top five Indian players who have scored centuries on their Test debut:
1. Sunil Gavaskar: One of the greatest batsmen of all time, Sunil Gavaskar scored a century on his Test debut against West Indies in 1970. He went on to score 34 Test centuries in his career, which is still an Indian record.
2. Virender Sehwag: One of the most destructive batsmen in history, Virender Sehwag scored a century on his Test debut against Bangladesh in 2001. He would go on to score 29 Test centuries, including two triple centuries, in his career.
3. Gundappa Viswanath: One of India’s greatest ever batsmen, Gundappa Viswanath scored a century on his Test debut against Australia in 1969. He played 49 Tests for India, scoring 16 centuries.
4. Mohammad Azharuddin: One of India’s most stylish batsmen, Mohammad Azharuddin scored a century on his Test debut against England in 1984.
Who hit 300 in Test debut and how?
India have had some great batsmen over the years and many of them have scored centuries in their debut Test match.
One of the most recent players to score a century in his debut Test match is Mayank Agarwal. He hit a brilliant triple century against Bangladesh in November 2019.
Other Indian batsmen who have scored centuries in their debut Test match include Virender Sehwag, Gautam Gambhir, Cheteshwar Pujara and Karun Nair.
How many Indians scored century on debut among retired cricketers?
It is a very impressive feat for any batsman to score a century on debut in Test cricket, and it is even more so when that batsman is Indian. There have been many great Indian batsmen over the years who have made their mark on the game with an impressive century on debut, and here is a list of some of the best.
1. Virender Sehwag – 2001 vs South Africa
One of the most destructive batsmen of all time, Virender Sehwag announced himself on the world stage with a bang by scoring a Century on debut against South Africa in 2001. He went on to have a stellar career; making over 10,000 runs in Test cricket and becoming one of the most feared batsmen in the world.
2. Sourav Ganguly – 1996 vs England
One of India’s most successful captains, Sourav Ganguly also scored a century on debut against England in 1996. He was instrumental in leading India to many victories during his tenure as captain; and his century on debut set the tone for what would be a great career.
What is the highest Test score on debut?
The highest Test score on debut is not an Indian. The highest red ball score on debut is held by New Zealander Brendon McCullum, who scored 302 against India in 2010.
It is clear that Indians have scored centuries in debut Test matches throughout the years. Some of these players have gone on to become legends of the game, while others have faded into obscurity. However, all of them share one thing in common – they all started their careers with a bang by scoring a century. Maybe you will be the next Indian player to score a century in your debut Test match!