The Indian Premier League (IPL) is one of the most popular domestic leagues around the world. Players from various countries come together to join various franchises and compete in matches.
After a seven-week ordeal of watching battle after battle on the field between some of the most star-studded teams, one side emerges victorious. On the most important stage of all, the final, the champion team reigns supreme.
On game night, however, it’s frequently one man’s heroics that propels his team to victory, allowing them to take home the trophy with both hands. As the IPL’s tenth season draws to a close, we take a look back at some of the game’s most memorable players.
Here’s a rundown of all the players who can proudly display their Man of the Match awards as a memento of their IPL final performances.
MAN OF THE MATCH AWARDS – IPL FINALS
- IPL 2008 final, RR vs CSK: Yusuf Pathan (RR) – 56 (39), 3/22 – RR beat CSK by 3 wickets
- IPL 2009 final, DCh* vs RCB: Anil Kumble (RCB) – 4/16 – DCh beat 6 runs
- IPL 2010 final, CSK vs MI: Suresh Raina (CSK) – 57* (35), 1/21 – CSK beat MI by 22 runs
- IPL 2011 final, CSK vs RCB: Murali Vijay (CSK) – 95 (52) – CSK beat RCB by 58 runs
- IPL 2012 final, KKR vs CSK: Manvinder Bisla (KKR) – 89 (48) – KKR beat CSK by 5 wickets
- IPL 2013 final, MI vs CSK: Kieron Pollard (MI) – 60* (32), 1/34 – MI beat CSK by 23 runs
- IPL 2014 final, KXIP (PBKS) vs KKR: Manish Pandey (KKR) – 94 (50) – KKR beat KXIP by 3 wickets
- IPL 2015 final, MI vs CSK: Rohit Sharma (MI) – 50 (26) – MI beat CSK by 41 runs
- IPL 2016 final, SRH vs RCB: Ben Cutting (SRH) – 39* (15), 2/35 – SRH beat RCB by 8 runs
- IPL 2017 final, MI vs RPSG: Krunal Pandya (MI) – 47 (38), 0/31 – MI beat RPSG by 1 run
- IPL 2018 final, CSK vs SRH: Shane Watson (CSK) – 117* (57) – CSK beat SRH by 8 wickets
- IPL 2019 final, MI vs CSK: Jasprit Bumrah (MI) – 2/14 – MI beat CSK by 1 run
- IPL 2020 final, MI vs DC: Trent Boult (MI) – 3/30 – MI beat DC 5 wickets
- IPL 2021 final, CSK vs KKR: Faf du Plessis (CSK) – 86 (59) – CSK beat KKR by 27 runs
- IPL 2022 final, GT vs RR: Hardik Pandya (GT) – 34 (30) and 3 for 17 – GT beat RR by 7 wickets
Let’s take a brief look:
The players of Chennai Super Kings and Mumbai Indians have topped the list in the history of the IPL final. Check out the details of each IPL final’s Man of the Match award: Winning all IPL finals every season The Player of the Match
Gujarat Titans and Rajasthan Royals are vying for the Indian Premier League title, and the final is just around the corner. There will be a closing ceremony before the final after a three-year hiatus.
The Gujarat Titans are in their first IPL season and have made it to the final, while the Rajasthan Royals were champions in 2008 and are in their first final since then.
Man of the Match in IPL finals history
The Indian Premier League has been played for 14 seasons, with Mumbai Indians and Chennai Super Kings appearing in 11 of the finals. Mumbai Indians have won the championship five times and Chennai Super Kings have won it four times.
Yusuf Pathan was the player of the match in the inaugural IPL final, scoring 56 runs in 39 balls while taking three wickets and allowing only 22 runs. The only player to win the award while playing for a losing team is Anil Kumble. In 2009, the Deccan Chargers won the championship, but Kumble was named MVP for his 4/16 in the final.
In 2010, the award was given to Suresh Raina of the Chennai Super Kings for his outstanding all-round performance in the final. Murali Vijay was their hero in the finals, scoring 89 runs in 48 balls against Royal Challengers Bangalore. In 2011, Chennai won the championship for the second time.
Manvinder Bisla is the most surprising name on the list; having led Kolkata to their first IPL title in 2012 final.
- Kieron Pollard
- Rohit Sharma
- Shane Watson
- Jasprit Bumrah
- Trent Boult
- Hardik Pandya
won the MOTM award in the IPL final, and are heavily represented on the list